Friday, November 9, 2012

Strawberry Yogurt Cheesecake

Let me start off with dessert!  =P  Hehehe.

I got this recipe from a flyer they gave out at the supermarket (SM Supermarket).  It was supposed to look like this:
but mine didn't turn out that well.  Hahaha!  xD  Still, it was a hit here at home.  =)


STRAWBERRY YOGURT CHEESECAKE

500g        Nestle Fruit Selection Yogurt Strawberry
240ml      cottage cheese
226g        cream cheese
1 sachet   unflavored gelatin
150g        graham crackers
60ml        melted unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp   sugar

For the crust:
Prepare the crust by mixing the graham crackers and melted unsalted butter.  In a molding pan, place the crust mixture and press it against the mold.  Set it aside inside the fridge for 15 minutes.

For the filling:
Melt cottage cheese, add gelatin and pour to the cream cheese.  Mix until smooth.  Mix Nestle Fruit Selection Yogurt Strawberry Flavor with cream cheese and gelatin mixture until molded thoroughly.  Pour the yogurt mixture to the crust and chill overnight.  Upon serving top with strawberry fruit.


As you can see, this recipe uses a particular brand of yogurt (that's what they had on promo in the store at the time  =P ).
But I suppose you can use another brand you want, if you have anything else available.  =)

And here it is... tada!  =D

My bloopers and whatnots:
  • I'm not sure what molding pan they're talking about.  I suppose it's a springform pan or something.  Anyway, I don't have any of those so I used a pie pan instead.  The mixture in this recipe will overflow if I pour it all in the pie, so I got some extra containers, put a layer of (uncrushed) graham crackers at the bottom, and poured the excess mixture on top.  Hehe.  =P  
  • Also, I just followed the amount of graham crackers and butter for the crust in this recipe, but it's probably a little too much for my pie pan, and the cheesecake ended up with a too thick crust.  (It's a good thing we love graham cracker crusts and think, 'the thicker, the better'.  Hahaha!  xD )
  • Here's my biggest blooper.  =P  It's my first time to use cottage cheese and I didn't know what it looked like.  All I know is that it came in a tub and looked liquid when I opened it.  So I thought maybe there was a typo in the recipe when it said, 'melt cottage cheese'.  =P  Meanwhile, the cream cheese I bought came in a bar.  So I melted the cream cheese, added the gelatin, then poured the cottage cheese into it.  Lol!  xD  That's when I found out that the cottage cheese had solid bits at the bottom of that liquid.  =O  I couldn't take it out anymore to melt it so I just mixed and mixed and mixed, and tried to crush the cheese bits into the mixture.  Needless to say, I ended up with a very lumpy mixture instead of a smooth one.  I poured it into the pie anyway.  =P  
  • Another thing: I always get confused with recipes that call for gelatin.  For example, some gelatins come in small packages (say, 10 grams) that are supposed to be dissolved in 4 cups of water, while others come in bigger packages (say, 90 grams) but are supposed to be dissolved in only 1 1/2 cups of water.  So which type should I use?  o.O  I just used the whole sachet of what I had available and hoped for the best.  =P  
  • The cheesecake didn't actually form well, but I'm not sure if this is because of the gelatin, or if I overmixed in the hopes of removing the big lumps of cheese.  =P  Hehehe.  
  • But even if it didn't form and the cottage cheese wasn't mixed in that well (you can still taste discrete cheese bits  =P ), the cheesecake was a hit here at home.  =)  So much so that we kept forgetting to put strawberry fruit on top when we ate it.  Haha.  (So we just ate the fruit separately.  =P  And yes, mine was just fruit and not like in the first picture on top that looks like a jam or syrup.)
  • Last (and in this case, also the least of my worries), I didn't use any sugar anywhere.  Come to think of it, I don't even know where it's supposed to go.  It's in the ingredients list but not in the procedure.  Oh well.  =P  It probably wasn't needed anyway.  =)  


[Note:  I reposted this, with a few minor edits, in bubblews.  Please also check my articles there.  Thanks!  =) ]

2 comments:

  1. I'm not that good of a cook or a baker myself, but I do try to mix up some things, you know for the love of family and all, hahaha... i'll try this recipe this weekend, wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about a month late but... good luck! If you've tried it already, I hope it went well. =)

      Delete